There is a large bancarella near the Piramide metro station which opens from morning till the evening.
It can get a little overwhelming as there are an increasing number of unlicensed sellers (called abusivi) there, but if you’re diligent you could find interesting things there and I scored this skirt for 2 euro.
It was much too large for me to wear as it is, but I planned on making a pair of culottes with them. I’ve wanted one for the longest time. As you know, culottes are a pair of trousers that look like skirts. They are said to be great for lady bikers as they look feminine and yet decent enough so that you don’t get an awkward up-skirt situation with normal skirts.
I’ve never done anything like this before so it was a good practise using a second hand outfit. Even if I messed up, it was just 2 euro as opposed to having to pay 70 for new materials.
Researching online, I found a blog where it teaches you on how to make a pair of culottes. but since my skirt was already pre-made, it didn’t quite apply the same so I’d just have wing it somehow.
I basically de-constructed the skirt using a seam-ripper and divided it into two – each part will be meant as a tube for each leg, and putting the zip and buttons aside.
With each piece, I folded it, and measured the waist using my waist circumference times 2 divided by 6,28. I etched a line on that and added another 5 cm leeway and then drew a curve with enough space to fit my hips.
And then cut using the guidelines.
After that, all that was needed was a side stitch to prevent them from fraying and then to connect them together with a sewing machine. I left some space on the front so that I could add in the zip.
And here is what it looks like finished!
I don’t think it’s my best handiwork, as the stitchings look so rough and uneven. It definitely could be better but nevertheless, I’m childishly proud and excited of it.
Hence the same day itself when I was done sewing, I gave it a test run on Sam the scooter. It was fine enough initially, but when I went at high speeds and coupled with the strong winds, due to the large flare at the bottom … I accidentally showed off more thigh than what I expected. Ehm. I guess this might need to be modified a little more.